Use the following steps to apply for a temporary job with the Census Bureau for the 2020 Census:
- Go to https://2020census.gov/en/jobs. Before clicking the “Apply Now” you can review preliminary information on job details, application requirements, and the positions and pay rates in your area.
- The “Apply Now” button takes you to the Census Career Site. For now click on “First-time Applicants Register Here.” To create your account you will need to provide some basic information. Once your account is created you will receive an email confirmation. The link in the email will take you back to the Career Site.
- This time select “Returning Applicants Login Here” and sign in. This will direct you to the Census Applicant Portal where you will find an Apply option and a FAQ/Help button. Click “Apply” to begin the application process.
- As part of the application process you must acknowledge that the information you provide is true and that you understand and agree to use an electronic signature.
- Next you will be provided some general information and instructions on the questions that will follow.
- The first portion of the application will ask for personal information (social security number, address, contact information, sex, place of birth, citizenship status), military service, government employment history, proficiency in languages, availability and available modes of transportation.
- The second portion will ask how you heard of the position, your ethnicity, race, and education, whether you have a disability or serious health conditions. You will also be asked if you wish to be considered for a supervisory position.
- The final portion will consist of an attitude test on various topics including work ethic, communication skills, and the ability to work in groups.
- Once this is done the application will be officially submitted. If you qualify, you should receive an email requesting the submission of a second form for follow up information within 24 hours.